Tuesday, March 5, 2013

You are what you eat!


It's March Break. Finally!! The time of year when we get to sleep in, eat whatever and play video games all day long. I did this for the first few days but by Tuesday, a stack of pancakes coated in maple syrup everyday for breakfast was leaving me feeling a little lethargic once my afternoon workout rolled around. I tried to tell myself that there were fruits in the pancakes and that maple syrup was organic, but my body post-exercise told me otherwise. 

Anyone else see this commercial?
When people who are trying to get in shape ask me for workout ideas, I tell them the first step to a healthier lifestyle is what they put in their bodies. We were all told in elementary by the school nurse on nutrition day that "we are what we eat" followed by exaggerated pictures of donut-shaped and broccoli-shaped kids on a soccer field. Well it's true. Perhaps those pictures weren't far off after all. When I went to the gym this morning, I certainly felt much better working out after a healthy breakfast of oatmeal and orange slices than I did yesterday after waffles with a chocolate drizzle.

I know it's tempting to give into treats over the break, but don't forget your New Year's resolutions! Many of us have forgotten ours by now, but hang in there! My favourite ways to stay healthy are to have healthy potlucks with friends, pair up with a gym buddy, or try a new sport. Don't forget the Pay-As-You-Go classes at the McGill gym, either! Plenty of opportunities to keep you going all semester long.

My favourite healthy breakfast ideas to boost your day:
- Oatmeal (with berries instead of sugar to flavour)
- Scrambled eggs on toast with a side of grilled mushrooms and tomatoes (à la Chef Ramsay) >>you will never eat eggs another way again! *delicious*
- Red River hot cereal sweetened with maple syrup
- Whole grain toast with peanut butter (or almond butter) and sliced bananas (perfect for a busy morning)

Bon appétit!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment