Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I ran!!

I ran! I ran! Finally!! This week I made huge strides (literally) toward my ultimate goal: running. Sure, it was only for ten minutes on the treadmill after I finished up on the elliptical, but it's something. Next stop: Varsity Track! Okay, maybe not, but it was incredibly uplifting to feel my body comfortably fall back into such a familiar rhythm. This was the first time I've run since June of last year. I'll have to start with small increments to help my body readjust to the impact, but this was exciting news I had to share!

In other running news, McGill's Varsity Track and Field team has been enjoying some success during their indoor season. At the end of February, McGill hosted the RSEQ championships and perhaps there was a bit of home crowd luck because although the Redmen team wound up third, the Martlets won their first RSEQ title in six years! Sherbrooke had previously dominated the competition, but came second this year. Alana Battiston was named female athlete of the meet after winning two gold medals, three silver and a bronze, and setting a school record in pentathlon. She went on the the CIS national championships in Alberta and while coming in fifth, she broke her record again! How's that for #McGillPride?

Want to scratch your racing itch? There are road races that happen around Montreal throughout the warmer months. This weekend there is a 5km and a 10km race happening in LaSalle and plenty more throughout the spring, summer and fall. It's easy to sign up online: there is usually a fee, but it's totally worth it. It's a fun atmosphere and participants come from all different levels of training and ability. Who knows, maybe you'll spot me at one of the races!

Happy running!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment