Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Couch Potato Athlete

This week was a stressful one. I just couldn't seem to escape the storm of final assignments, papers, tests, presentations and never-ending readings. A trip to the gym was not looking like a possibility. Instead of passively accepting my exercise-less week, I opted for a home workout instead.

Thursday morning, my roommate and I were studying at the kitchen table as usual when I could no longer tolerate the jitters in my legs. Too stressed to sacrifice time going to the gym, but too antsy to study, I tossed on my gym shorts and rolled out my yoga mat. Reps of jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, tricep dips and wall sits made up my workout. When I came around to my 2-minute plank reps, my roommate decided to join me. Aptly labelling herself a "couch potato athlete", her attempts at a plank were half-hearted. With her textbook laid out below her, she held plank for about five seconds before exhaling in exhaustion and collapsing onto the floor. We laughed and she tried again but claimed that laughing was a better workout than planking. Twenty minutes later when I finished up my exercises, I found her still lying on the kitchen floor, this time cuddled up with a fuzzy pillow while she flipped through her textbook. I guess anyone with a 4.0 GPA doesn't really have time for a workout.

I'm trying to make these home workouts a regular occurrence and I've had some luck so far, but once finals kick into high gear, I think I'll just live on campus and use the gym. They have everything! Food, showers, exercise space, study spots and even places to sleep (*cough, cough* SSMU lounge). But if you're a normal, sane person who just doesn't have all that much time to exercise, take a walk around your neighbourhood or a quick saunter to the park and back. The sun is shining and the air is getting warmer -- perfect antidote for stress!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment