Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Intramural Hockey: An observation

Despite my injury this year, I've found various ways to stay involved with sports. I might not be able to do all my favourite activities, but I can still enjoy them from other sides: watching figure skating on TV, checking out the track & field events at McGill, trying out different activities, and officiating. Back home, I was a scorekeeper for a number of years at my local arena and this year I've been timekeeping McGill's intramural hockey. It's been a cool way to meet some new people and to keep in touch with a sport I grew up around. However, I've noticed some behavioural changes in the players as they get older...

When kids are 8 or 10 years old and playing houseleague hockey with their neighbourhood friends, they're just looking to have fun, skate around, and hopefully score a few times. They're excited about the game, playing with their friends and emulating their NHL idols. But as they get older, the bright eyes fade and the pure joy drains. What happened? I don't know what changes in the players' minds, but it seems like all of a sudden when kids hit a certain age (sometime in their teens), their attitude towards hockey changes. It's as if what was fun becomes war, and they have to win the war at all costs.

I've played team sports my whole life and I've even played intramural here, so I understand how one gets immersed in the game and how one becomes very passionate about one's team and one's desire to succeed. But then why all the aggression towards opposing players? Why the horrendous verbal attacks at the referees? Why the need to storm off the ice in a fury? The McGill intramural program states on their webpage that "Individuals are encouraged to participate in the spirit of fair play and good sportsmanship." I don't believe fair play is antagonizing your opponents, nor is good sportsmanship mouthing off to the officials or playing dirty. Although this behaviour is certainly not characteristic of all players, I have witnessed and experienced this enough times to identify the trend. I should also note that it's not confined to our peers, but to adults as well. I have seen profs loose it in an intramural game as often as students, and parents in the stands are no role models either. 

I know we all want to do well in our favourite sports, but let's try to be considerate of our teammates, our opponents, the officials and the good name of the sport. While sometimes we all get aggressively passionate about something we care about, we have to keep in mind that we are not the only ones on the ice, on the field or on the track. Next time you go out to play, think about those houseleague years when all you wanted to do was have a good time. With a positive attitude and enthusiastic approach, you will definitely find that you enjoy yourself more and so will everyone around you.


Now, go out there and have FUN!



- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment