Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Elliptical Newbie

Overwhelmed by midterm stress? Tell me about it! This weekend was a rough one. I was so overwhelmed by essays and tests that I didn't think I was going to find time for a workout. As I was trying to garner some self-determination to finish one of my essays, I decided that the most productive form of procrastination (after cleaning and baking) was exercise.

As a not-so-consistent gym-goer, I was tossing ideas around in my head as I made my way along Parc to the Sports Complex: ...the bike? No, I do that regularly... Treadmill? Hmm, too high-impact... Elliptical? Yes! However, the last time I was on an elliptical machine I was probably around 10 years old at my friend's birthday party and I thought her mom's elliptical was a fun "game".

Moments later I'm standing on one and I admit I was slightly confused. I wasn't sure how my feet were supposed to move... up and down or forward and backward? Do I exercise my arms or just hang on for balance? I was looking around at other elliptical-users for some visual guidance, but that didn't prove much help as I discovered that there are different types of ellipticals! That's seven minutes of feeling like a newb I won't get back... But once I figured it all out, I realised that these are magic all-in-one tools that will make your heart race, thighs burn and biceps tighten. Even stretching out my tired muscles after a 45-minute session left me feeling a little sore on Sunday! But a little ache won't deter me from doing it again, nor will my lack of knowledge about exercise equipment stop me trying something else.

If ever you're unsure about the equipment or how to get started at the gym, talk to the attendants. They can provide you with some helpful tips and will certainly get you going on your workout in less time than my seven-minute blank out!
Good luck!

- Martlet Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment