Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Stressed out? Swim it out!


Midterms are nobody’s friend. In fact, they’re really an enemy. They cause us to stress out, loose sleep and sometimes go crazy. It’s a season that everyone dreads and we beg to be over. During this time, most of us fall off our exercise schedules and some even turn to comfort foods to unwind (guilty!). I know I’m not alone on this, but when that happens to me, I feel even worse!

This midterm season, I’ve tried to stick to going to the gym a couple times a week. One of my favourite stress-relieving activities is swimming. For those of you who don’t have a gym membership, this is a perfect choice because you don’t need one! The Memorial Pool is open to all students and there’s plenty of recreational swim time throughout the day to accommodate your study schedule (check out the pool sched here!). I love swimming because it works every muscle in my body without having to set a foot in the gym! I’ve been swimming since I was kid and I have fond memories of my years on the summer swim team at my local pool. I’ve teamed up with a friend from those formative years who conveniently goes to McGill and we head to the pool every Friday afternoon. The routine and company is awesome and it makes it easier to keep each other motivated. It’s a great break from the books and adds a social aspect to exercise. The pool lanes are divided based on speed (slow, medium, fast) and it’s a relaxed atmosphere, which is just what I need during midterms. A huge plus is that there’s no time limit! The machines in the gym are restricted to 30 minutes, but you have the stamina to swim for two hours, go for it!

Next time you need a break from studying, grab your swimsuit and a friend and head to the pool.

P.S. Don’t forget your goggles!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment