Monday, November 5, 2012

An Urge to Erg


Over the last couple of months, one of my roommates has been gradually encouraging me to join the McGill Rowing Club. At first, I thought, “Man! This sounds like so much fun!” My enthusiasm quickly turned to doubt as I realized how much I enjoy a good night’s sleep. However, she is persistent and keeps feeding me reasons why I should give it a try. “The people are really great and totally keep you motivated!” she says, but then reading into my expression continues, “and the mornings really aren’t that bad. You get used to it pretty quick.”

More and more, I’m tempted to give it a shot. I recall back in my CEGEP days I went erging with a few friends who were on the rowing team. They were also up at the crack of dawn and exuded an enthusiasm about the sport the way a kid talks about their favourite candy. I tried the indoor rowing machine (aka “erg”) at our school gym and had an awesome time! It was unlike any exercise I’d done before. I surprisingly found myself getting a full-body workout! I had grown up figure skating, playing soccer and running track—sports that keep you on your feet, so I was excited to find something with a completely new dynamic that gave me an excellent workout.

As for my fear of early mornings, I thought back to the days in high school when I ran for the McGill Olympic Club (a track club open to the public). Those years were full of early morning runs and practices. For a while, I was habituated to waking up early to get in a run before school and then heading to an evening practice after my classes. My roommate says the McGill team spirit and determined coaches definitely make the early hours worth it.

Besides, who wouldn’t be proud to be part of a team that produces Canadian University Rowing champions and world-class athletes?

See ya next rowing season!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment