Monday, October 15, 2012

The 'Lazy Bike' ain't so lazy



So, I went to the gym for the first time this week. Now I know what you're thinking: "Only your FIRST time?!" Well in my defense, I've always been more sports-inclined versus treadmill-inclined. I love being active and organized sports were always readily available throughout my childhood, so I never really considered the gym as a place to work out. However, my ability to play sports right now is slightly hindered due to an injury from a few months back and it's always good to switch up routine, right? So off to the gym I went.

To be honest, I felt like a bit of a noob. I had no idea where to scan my ID, where any machines were located, or if any were even available! My physiotherapist says I'm only allowed on the stationary bikes, so I looked around at the vast selection and made up my mind: the recumbent bike. Selecting based on comfort due to injury, I was surprised when what I thought to be the 'lazy bike' had me sweating like a pig five minutes into my workout! Throughout my 45-minute cycle, the heart rate monitor was flashing, the total distance kept rising and my speed, well, it decreased a little bit (c'mon, a girl's bound to get a little tired). However, I was spurred on by the sight of other active students pushing their bodies to the limit. By the end, sure I was super sweaty, but I felt awesome! I always thought going to the gym would be boring and monotonous, but it was actually pretty fun! I had some good tunes going and it felt great to try something new.

Now that I've ventured into the gym, I realized there are a few dos and don’ts that newbies need to know before pulling on their running shoes for the first time.

DO: Bring a towel. You’re going to get pretty sweaty (and they won’t let you in without one).
DON’T: Be nervous or feel like a noob. Everyone went through the same experience at some point!
DO: Bring a full water bottle. There’s nothing worse than having to stop your workout to refill.
DON’T: Wear muddy shoes. If you last went for a run on Mt Royal on a rainy Sunday morning, wash off the mud before you go to the gym as a courtesy to the other gym users who enjoy a clean environment.
DO: Wipe down your machine after use with the towels and spray bottles provided.
DO: Go in the middle of the day to avoid pre- and post-class crowds.

My favourite part about the gym: the stretching space! The staircase on the right-hand side after you walk in leads to a platform overlooking the workout space. Up here you’ll find mats galore and exercise balls. It’s the perfect spot for a post-workout stretch and ab exercises!

P.S. Next time you see a girl huffing and puffing on a 'lazy bike,' try one yourself! It's always fun to try something different.

-Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment