Tuesday, October 23, 2012

More than just a place to exercise


The McGill Sports Centre is a wondrous place. The building is huge! I had an exam there last winter and I nearly got lost. I was working my buns for quite a while going up a long spiralling staircase to find the classroom. I guess there’s no escaping exercise no matter what you’re there for, right? And people go through those turnstiles for a multitude of reasons: exercise, team meetings, work, injury, class – wait, ‘injury’? Yep, you heard me. Not only does the Sports Centre house the Department of Athletics, Phys. Ed. students, a ginormous gymnasium, the Memorial Pool, the Tomlinson Fieldhouse, the Fitness Centre, and squash courts, it is the home to the McGill Sports Medicine Clinic. In my opinion, this is one of the most amazing places amidst many at the Sports Centre. I have become quite familiar with the Sports Clinic over the course of my time at McGill and I can tell you that in this special corner on the third floor you will find the kindest, most fantastic group of people around. From the front desk to the therapists to the doctors, you can trust that you’ll be in good hands, no matter your injury.

Last year, I was paying a visit to my physiotherapist every week for nearly three months to help me with my third sprained ankle. You know what they say: “Third time’s the charm.” True enough, that time I actually ripped a tendon, whereas the other two had just been strains. A couple crutches, many bags of ice, some fun exercises and an ankle brace later, I was as good as new.

However, there’s another proverb that characterizes my injury history: “Not all good things last forever.” I consider myself a lucky person in many aspects of life, though with injuries not so much. This summer, not even a year later, I fractured my spine cliff jumping out west. In terms of the injury, it could have been a lot worse, but still, who breaks their back?! So, I spent two months in a rather colourful back brace and I’ve been in physiotherapy now since the beginning of term. I guess one shouldn’t be happy to go somewhere called a “clinic” every week, as it usually implies the sick and injured. But for me, this place means healing, recovery and support. I don’t know how I would have made it through the last month and a half without the Sports Medicine Clinic and its incredible staff. As I go through my recovery of tricky exercises, swimming, yoga, massages and heat wraps, I’m constantly reminded that healing requires a lot of patience. It’s hard not to jump ahead of myself in my attempt to get back to my previous level of activity, but as I slowly inch toward my goal, I’m guided by strong hands and smiling faces.

On behalf of all injured, to-be injured, and previously-injured students, staff and members of the community, I’d like to thank the staff at the McGill Sports Medicine Clinic for making our lives and roads to recovery easier, smoother, and safer.

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment