Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Spin and Trim

Last night I tried my first ever spin class. I was expecting it to be challenging, by WOW was it tough! The class is called Spin and Trim so we cycle for about 50-55 minutes, have short stretch and then 15-20 minutes of exercises to strengthen other parts of the body before a longer stretch at the end. Once the class was over and my heart rate was back to normal, I realized how much I enjoyed it! But before I got to that blissful point... well, it wasn't easy.

I have never cycled on a spin bike before, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting myself into. From the looks on the faces of others in the class, I could tell I wasn't alone. Once everyone was perched on their bikes, the teacher put one some music and we were off! She was shouting out motivations left and right and as the music tempo increased, so did our speed. We went over hills, rode flats, did sprints and I thought I was going to hurl. This was way more intense then I was expecting! Sometimes she had us standing up while we worked our way up a hill (which is a lot harder than she makes it look). The toughest part for me was when we had to stand for 5 seconds, then sit back down, then stand, then sit, and so on. After that, I was sure my legs had turned to jelly. That was confirmed to me once I stepped off my bike: my legs were shaking and with each step, I swerved a bit on my way to the mats. The core exercises the teacher led us in were tough, especially for a girl who’s trying to get all those muscles back. I struggled most with the plank: I could barely hold it for 20 seconds! However, our teacher assured us all that by the end of the class we’ll be able to hold plank for 2 minutes… wish me luck!

All these difficulties aside, the challenge was exciting. Once I got over the unwelcome feeling in my stomach, it was really fun! It was cool to try something different and I’m looking forward to feeling myself get stronger. In the meantime, my bottom is sore, my legs are tired and my spirits are high. Next class is tomorrow!
 See ya then!

- Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment