Friday, February 17, 2012

"Reading" Week Outdoor Activities


                Spring Break is finally here! After a hellish week of three midterms, a quiz and two essays, I am more than ready to do anything that does not involve sticking my nose in a textbook. Personally, I find that the best remedy for a school-induced coma is to get outside for some fresh air and exercise. Working out inside is great because it is convenient, there is very little risk of getting caught in a snowstorm and you don’t have to breathe through a neck warmer. However, there is something to be said for leaving the security of the gym to brave the elements and enjoy the mental and physical benefits outdoor activities can provide. Whether in a major urban center or a small town in the country, our Canadian climate and landscape offer ample opportunities to enjoy a variety of sports during the winter months.
                While in Montreal, my favorite outdoor activity to do during the winter is hockey. As I’ve discussed previously, Jeanne Meance Park is a great option for McGill students looking to fit in a quick game between classes or in the evening. For those who do not play hockey, there is an ice surface just outside of the rink which is usually reserved for skaters. The atmosphere at this skating rink is fun and inclusive, where people of all ages and ability levels can enjoy being active outdoors for an hour or two.
                Another aspect of the Montreal landscape that McGill students are fortunate to have easy access to is Mount Royal Park. Located immediately behind the Currie Gymnasium, “the mountain” is great for running, hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Don’t have equipment for these winter activities? The equipment room at the gym rents snowshoes, cross-country skis, boots and poles. Check here for prices. Although I have never actually cross-country skied or snowshoed on the mountain (it’s on the to-do list!), I do use the trails for running several times per week. I love the feeling that I get while climbing the mountain, escaping from the exhaust fumes and reckless drivers to leave the city behind, even if it’s only for an hour or so. I often say that I would not be able to live in Montreal without Mount Royal as a refuge from all of the cars, noise and commotion. Even if you are a city lover and are not bothered by the chaos of urban living, I highly recommend taking out the headphones, stepping off of the treadmill and heading outside for a run, hike, ski or snowshoe excursion. You may be surprised at just how refreshed you feel when you return, both physical and mentally.
                As for me, I will be escaping the city for the next week to go back home to the Gatineau Hills. If the weather cooperates I will be having a blast cross-country skiing, playing hockey on the ponds, snowboarding, and hiking in the woods. I hope everyone has a great spring break and enjoys some much needed rest, relaxation and fresh air, wherever you happen to be!
See you next week!

Martlet Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment