Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shoot for the Cure!


Last Thursday night, members of McGill’s women’s basketball team laced up their kicks and swapped their traditional red and white jerseys for flashy cotton candy pink and white uniforms to take on the Concordia Stingers at the annual “Shoot For the Cure” double header game in McGill’s gym. 

Despite the fact that basketball happens to be one of my favorite sports, not only to play but also to watch, this was my first time attending a basketball game at McGill.  I showed up to the game excited to support a fundraiser for breast cancer and to reconnect with a sport that once my occupied a significant amount of my time back in high school.  And to be perfectly honest, I was definitely looking forward to enjoying my first hot dog of the year from the concession stand at the gym.  So with my hot dog in hand, and my newly purchased pink ribbon pinned to my sweater, my friends and I found a seat in the middle of the stands surrounded by some familiar and unfamiliar faces.  The Martlets weren’t the only ones dressed for the cause.  Many female fans were wearing pink shirts or sweaters and men jazzed up their customary dull suits with pink ties.

The game got off to a quick start with the Martlets throwing up six points in a row to take an early lead against the Stingers.  As I watched the energetic Martlets run up and down the court, I couldn’t help but notice how chic the girls looked in their pink uniforms next to the Stingers in their boring black uniforms with only a hint of red and gold.  I felt quite empowered by the players while although donning their overly feminine outfits were also kicking some serious butt on the court, showing the Stingers they weren’t about to get beat on their home court.

The excitement and pace of the game persisted even as the girls rested for a time-out or at the end of each quarter with regular performances given by McGill’s cheerleading squad. During half time an exceptional and heartwarming number performed by McGill’s very own Tonal Ecstasy entertained the crowd.  As the game continued, more McGill fans showed up, creating a Valentine’s Day effect amongst the crowd, some wearing red and white, others wearing pink.  Although the Martlets held the lead for the entire game, the last ten seconds were as exciting as a championship game.  The Martlets not only scored themselves another win for their undefeated season, they also raised breast cancer awareness, and they did so in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment